Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Singapore 12/09: Light and shade

i.
return to race; but
new level of graciousness.
new pecking order.

ii.
stranger in my house.
make the right gestures but i
feel the elephant.

iii.
slow bullet train.
how fast can you go in
a country so small?

iv.
my iPhone headphones
can't block out noisy child
or ugly passengers.

v.
24/7
shopping - distraction from
my dislocation.

vi.
no more Mercedes.
gone are your status symbols.
no shortage of gods.

vii.
old haunts, old habits.
points of reference give way
to memory.

Ian Row

1 comment:

Area 17 said...

A slow bullet train?

I love shinkansen, and pleased that Britain is starting to bring them in, not quite the really fast ones, but it's a start.

We should have listened to Isambard Kingdom Brunel! ;-)

Tokyo Bullet train -
only three corners
to my bento box


Alan Summers
World Haiku Review
Japan Article March 2003
Vending machines and cicadas

.